Apple OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most advanced desktop operating system. Mountain Lion includes over 200 new features to update your Mac into the best computing experience yet. With the new Messages app you can send text, photos, videos, contacts, Web links, and documents to anyone using another Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- you can even start a conversation on one device and continue it on another. The new Share button makes it easy to share files, Web pages, photos, and videos, as well as tweet right from the app you are using. With the Reminders app you can create to-do lists and alerts that appear in the new Notification Center. With Notes you can write down all your ideas and even speak your words with voice dictation. Play head to head games on your Mac with friends on their Macs or iOS devices with Game Center. And with iCloud built in, it's simple to keep all your mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, notes, to do lists, music, photos, iWork files, PDFs, and more up to date across all your devices.Messages
- Send messages from your Mac to friends with an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- With iMessage, you can start a conversation on your Mac and pick it up on your iPhone or iPad.
- Messages also supports traditional instant messaging services like AIM, Yahoo! Google Talk and Jabber.
- Documents in the Cloud lets you create and edit your documents on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
- The new Reminders app makes managing tasks easy. Jot down your thoughts with the new Notes app. And iCloud keeps your Reminders and Notes up to date across all your devices.
- Type both searches and Web addresses in the new Smart Search Field.
- Pinch to see tabs with Tab View and swipe to switch between them.
- iCloud Tabs makes the last websites you looked at accessible on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.*
- New notifications appear in the top right corner of your screen.
- Open Notification Center from anywhere in OS X to see recent notifications.
- Configure your notifications to receive just the ones you want.
- Share links, photos, videos, and other files right from the app you're in.
- Share with Mail, Messages, and AirDrop.
- Sign in to Twitter, Flickr, and Vimeo once to start sharing.
- Tweet right from your apps with the Tweet sheet.
Other great Mountain Lion features
- Play live multiplayer and turn-based games against friends on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
- Log in to the Game Center app to see friends in your gaming network.
- Check out leaderboards and achievements.
- See what games your friends play and track your progress against them.
- Dictation lets you talk anywhere you can type--no setup or training required.
- AirPlay Mirroring shows your Mac screen on your HDTV with Apple TV.
- Power Nap keeps your Mac up to date while it sleeps so it's instantly ready to go.
- Gatekeeper makes it safer to download apps from the Internet by giving you control over which apps can be installed on your Mac.
- New features for Chinese users include improved text input, leading search engine Baidu as an option in Safari, sharing to microblogging service Sina Weibo and video websites Youku and Tudou, eight new fonts, and a new Chinese dictionary.
This update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users, and includes new features and fixes:Facebook
- Single sign on for Facebook
- Adds Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
- See Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
- Facebook notifications now appear in Notification Center
Other new features
- Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
- Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
- Added Facebook "Like" button for games
- Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
- Adds Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac*
- You can now add passes to Passbook (on your iPhone or iPod touch) from Safari and Mail on your Mac*
- FaceTime can now receive calls sent to your phone number*
- New shared Reminders lists
- New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
- Dictation now supports additional languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
- Dictionary app now includes a French definition dictionary
- Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts
The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 update also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, including the following fixes:
- Adds an option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As
- Unsent drafts are now opened automatically when launching Mail
- Receive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyone
- URLs are shortened when sending tweets from Notification Center
- Notifications are disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is being used
- Adds SSL support for Google searches from the Smart Search Field in Safari
- Adds a new preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpages
- Resolves an issue that may cause the "Enable Autodiscover" checkbox to always remain checked
- Enables access to the Mac App Store when Parental Controls are enabled
- Support for @icloud.com email addresses
- Resolves a video issue with some VGA projectors when connected to certain Mac notebooks
- Addresses an issue that may prevent Active Directory accounts from being locked out
- Resolves an issue that may cause the policy banner to re-appear prior to logging in
- Improvements to SMB
- Addresses an issue with NIS users when auto-login is enabled
- Addresses an issue in which the Keychain may not be accessible
- Ability to pre-authenticate a FileVault protected system
- Addresses an issue that may cause Xsan to not automatically start after migrating from Mac OS X Snow Leopard